Learn what to do when you get Error: Failed or Error: Restore Failed while restoring a backup copy of your company file in QuickBooks Desktop.
Here are some of the errors you may see when restoring a backup:
- Error: Failed
- Restore Failed. This is an Invalid Format of a Post QuickBooks 2007 Backup File
- Error: Restore failed. Can’t remove log file
The file name may also display as *.qbw when attempting to save the restored file.
What causes Error: Failed or Error: Restore Failed when restoring a backup?
These errors may appear when:
- The company file name includes special characters ( / \ < > ! $ *).
- The backup was restored over an existing company file.
- The backup was restored from a USB flash drive to a network drive (Error -6189, -816).
- The backup was made in a newer version.Example: Backup was created in QuickBooks 2018 but you’re restoring it in QuickBooks 2017.
- The file you’re trying to restore isn’t an actual backup file.
- The company file is compromised and has corrupted data.
Check your backup file first before proceeding. A backup should be no less than 6MB (6MB = 6,000KB). If it’s less than that, there’s a good chance that it’s not a true backup file and you’ll need to create a backup from the working file.
To check the file size, right-click the file and select Properties.
To fix the problem, try one of the following solutions. For the best results, perform the solutions in the order shown.
- Remove special characters “/” “\” “!” “$” “<” “>” and “*” from your company file name
- Avoid overwriting an existing file when you restore your backup
- Copy your backup from your flash drive or network drive to the Server’s local drive before restoring it
- Copy a backup file to a new folder before restoring it
- Use the same or newer version of QuickBooks when restoring your backup
- Repair your company file
If none of these solutions work, try to restore a different copy of your backup file, or contact us at the number below for additional support.
Get hep with QuickBooks Desktop errors, upgrades, and data migrations. Give us a call at (855) 227-0700 and get all of your questions answered today!